Case: Mid-size CRO manages all operations on spreadsheets resulting in vast inefficiencies
Due to the sheer volume of work in the bioanalytical laboratory, lead times must be carefully managed to keep projects on track. Currently, teams rely on multiple systems - some internally developed and maintained and others managed through spreadsheets and white boards. Operations built on a foundation of disconnected data sources results in vast inefficiencies. Without visibility into multiple metrics, senior executives rely on labor intensive ad-hoc project updates from overloaded lab managers or they make key project resources decisions on incomplete and out-of-date information. It is estimated that project managers and lab operations staff spend between 23-46% of their time gathering information for tracking, analyzing, and reporting on project activities. Standardizing and reducing redundancy in reporting format and access to timely information could reduce the time spent on these types of reports and the other administrative tasks by 20%. Redeploying this time and resource to higher priority tasks could have a significant effect on achieving quality outcomes.
The developed Informatics platform has allowed lab staff and management can seize new opportunities and mitigate risks with speed and flexibility, using the informatics platform. From interactive dashboards and visualizations to predictive analytics, helps scientists quickly explore data to spot actionable insights instantly
Lab Improvement Benefits
- Harmonize and standardize the processes for tracking and reporting on the status of projects globally
- Quick and easy access to the current project metrics including status, timelines, lab activity, batch runs, action items, and real-time alerts
- Improved accuracy of planning and forecasting (e.g. project timelines, resources, and budget projections)
- Earlier detection
- Increase team performance by building in transparency across programs and identifying key metrics for lessons learned and best practices
- Provides automated alerting, workflows, and e-signatures for approval routing
- Provides superior analytics: provide analysis of performance trends across projects, assays, analysts, and instruments
- Eliminate the need for excel tracking systems and risk associated with manual transcriptions and data re-entry
They are just beginning their journey in moving from a paper heavy lab to a paper-lite lab to a paperless lab, which will enhance the efficiency of the entire laboratory process, leading to a dramatic overall cost reduction in operations and a better way to work for everyone.